After distracting my wife to be with a shiny engagement ring, it was time to order a ton of Lego and start the design phase of my year long Lego Wedding project!
Once I got over the new brick excitement, I knocked together a small simple Lego flower with 7 petals clipped onto a Lego technic steering wheel. Simple yet dull.
I then got more creative and developed two new intricate and effective techniques. The yellow Tulip (open and closed versions) took 4 core petals which were attached to a central core with outward facing studs. I liked this lots. I then tried another technique by layering various slate bricks upon each other to build a larger red flower (not a clue if this resembles any real world flower). This technique allowed me to create petals of any shape. These quick mock ups would form the basis of the next two flowers I would design…
Flicking through images of Gerberas flowers on Pintrest, I concluded it would be good candidate for my layered petal technique. My initial version used a two tiered petal design clipped onto a octagon shaped Lego brick. I then added another technic steering wheel to it’s centre to complete the flower (left pic). Whilst this worked well, it wasn’t round or full enough. I therefore tweaked the petal design and added extras to create the full Gerberas look (right pic). This design also leveraged a Lego pipe which was secured to a technique wheel and octagon. Only issue was it was a little heavy, yet still quite a realistic copy of a real life Gerberas.
Designing a Lego Rose was always going to be a flower I would want to attempt for the Lego Wedding! My Lego Rose was built using the same technique as the Tulip, with a central core of outward facing studs attaching 4 core petals. The picture below is the second version of my Lego Rose. I take this design further in my next blog post focused on perfecting Lego Rose design…