Now used to the Japanese working way of life of working late in the office every evening, I needed a way to unwind after a long day of work. Why not replicate my perfected Lego Rose 68 times?! I got to the point where I could replicate the design within 5 minutes, and had a make shift assembly line setup on my apartments living room table.
Whilst I replicated the design, I went through various iterations of vase design. I won’t bore you with each iteration, so feel free to jump to the completed vase design further down this post! Key difficulty worth noting though was working out how to control the Lego Roses, without them continuously falling out (especially important when you have a room full of drunken guests!). Using a netted inter-connecting Technic Plate design for strength, you can see the interior controlling mechanism below.
Lego Rose & Thistle Vase Complete!
After many months of rose designs and vase iterations, the Lego Rose Vases were complete! I built four unique vases in total, each with their own distinctive design. Originally I had settled on 12 roses per vase, but it lacked oomph! Adding an extra 5 to make it 17 filled in the gaps nicely.
Knowing that I was to be married to a Scotish bride, I added a small finishing touch by incorporating 4 Scottish Thistles. Using a few Lego trees from my childhood collection and inverting an underwater bush on top worked well. It did mean I had to add my second non Lego component to the design though as each thistle head had to be spray painted purple to fit the part. Simple yet effective, this pulled the design together. Now it was complete!
*Bonus Test Vase*
Whilst testing the design in my apartment in Japan, I took a few Lego Roses and experimental flowers. Enjoy my final bonus vase! (includes Lego bee!)